Saturday, December 7, 2013

Holy Ghost Prep has really let me down.

I'm going to take a break from the absolute garbage that I usually write to get serious.

I was informed, last night, that one of my teachers had been fired from my high school. I only had this teacher once, he taught freshman French, and even though I got  a C+ in his class, he moved me up to the honors track. Though that wasn't the only time that this would happen, he saw in me the ability to do well if I really challenged myself. I'll never forget that.

Mr. Griffin was fired after informing the school of his intention to acquire a marriage license in New Jersey, as Pennsylvania still does not allow for same sex marriages... Oh, did I forget to mention that he was gay, it seems that I did because it should be of no consequence. Unfortunately, for my school, it was of apparently great consequence, so I implore you literally fives of readers, let the school, no, the country know that that is not alright.

It should be noted that this is a Catholic school, so being behind the times in terms of worldview is not completely unexpected, but still.

The news story can be found here.

This is what I wrote to the school. If only I were a better writer.



Mr. Danilak and Fr. McCloskey
Ten years ago, I entered Holy Ghost Prep a wide eyed and mostly innocent boy of fourteen. From the second that I walked into Cornwell Hall, I could feel what had been engrained into my psyche from the moment that I came for a shadow day and continued to be pounded into my head at orientation. I was home. I had found a place that was not a community; it was more than that, a family.
The motto “One heart, one mind” which was repeated incessantly at Ghost helped to shape me into the person I am today. I expanded that axiom to influence every aspect of my life and it has helped me develop extreme empathy for those around me. Never have I looked at the plight of another with jaded malaise because, as my high school taught me, we are all connected. To turn a blind eye to one person who has been wronged is to turn a blind eye to all who have been wronged.
                That is why I greeted the information that you terminated one Michael Griffin for pursuing a marriage with his life partner with a rather heavy heart. Objectively, I can understand where you were coming from with your decision. I mean, you are a Catholic institution, and, as such, you need to follow the Church’s doctrine. As of right now, the Catholic Church only recognizes marriage as valid when it occurs between a consenting man and woman. To encourage or promote a marriage between two men (or women) would go against the Church, and that is something that you can’t do. I get that, I really do.
Regardless,  it seems to me that turning Mr. Griffin away at a time when he was making one of the biggest and hopefully most joy-filled decisions of his life is in the poorest of taste. It is downright abhorrent. Though I may be accused of false equivocation, this is no different than parents disowning their child for the mere fact that they are homosexual. I always thought of Ghost as my family, but how can I associate with a family who treats its members as you have treated one of its own that has given so much, over a decade of his life to further your mission statement.  
                I know that one email from a former student will probably get lost amid the thousands of others containing better worded, more compelling arguments. I just needed you to know how utterly disappointed I am, and I hope that at least one of us gets through to you.
I hope you can join us in the 21st century,
Sean O’Brien ‘07

This was an affront to decency, and I couldn't sit in silence. Spread the word.


And if you'd like to email the principal Mr. Jeff Danilak or the president Fr. James McCloskey, they can be reached at jdanilak@holyghostprep.org and jmccloskey@holyghostprep.org

1 comment:

  1. Well said Sean. This was all over my news feed and I couldn't agree more. I actually considered writing an email and mentioning the whole family aspect and how Jesus went out of his way to associate with hookers and diseased people. So much for following in His example.

    ReplyDelete